Air pollution is the theme for World Environment Day 2019. Chosen with not a hint of irony by this year’s host, China, we are all invited to consider how we can make changes in our everyday lives to reduce the amount of pollution we produce.
So without further ado, here are our Top 10 tips to help #beatairpollution:
1. Adopt a plant-based diet. According the United Nations Food and Agriculture, livestock farming produces more greenhouse gas worldwide than the emissions from ships, trucks, cars and all other transport put together!
2. Eat local and seasonal. Better still, grow your own fruit and veggies.
3. When you have the option, walk, ride a bike or take public transport. Drive less by combining trips and carpooling. Avoid driving in peak hour.
4. Reduce, reuse and recycle. Buy less and buy sustainable.
5. Avoid plastic bags and choose products with minimal packaging.
6. For indoor pollution, grow indoor plants – some of the best ones are also hard to kill. Spider plants, peace lilies, snakes tongue, rubber plants and heartleaf philodendron.
7. Run appliances such as your dishwasher and washing machine outside of peak times.
8. If possible, switch to renewable energy.
9. Open your windows regularly to let stale indoor air out and fresh air in.
10. Use natural products and cleaners. Keep your home dust free.
For other tips and ideas on how to get involved or reduce air pollution, visit World Environment Day #WorldEnvironmentDay #BeatAirPollution