In a world of mixed nutritional messages, one of the most confusing concerns the humble snack. To snack, or not to snack? That is the question.
Unless you’ve got the discipline of a Zen master, the urge to eat between meals happens to all of us. The question really should be – when I snack, what should I eat?
The trick to snacking is snacking well. You need to have healthy options at hand to stop you reaching for the packet of choc chip cookies at 3pm when hunger strikes. Often our snack cravings are for something sweet (say chocolate), savory (hello chips), creamy (mmm, ice cream), or crunchy (oh peanut brittle, come to mama!).
Rather than sit on your hands, gnawing your bottom lip and willing your craving away (sorry friend, it ain’t gonna happen) you simply need to snack smarter. Here are 4 ways:
1) Next time you’re drooling for something sweet, why not switch the Mars Bar for the following:
- + fresh, whole fruit
- + apple ‘soldiers’ to dip in some organic peanut butter
- + a handful of dried fruit or trail mix
- + a green smoothie with a hit of mango
- + banana “ice cream” (peel a banana, freeze, blend in a food processor and enjoy)
- + dates
2) To tackle your savory cravings, try these healthy alternatives:
- + olives
- + pickles or pickled vegetables, such sauerkraut or kimchi
- + tabouli
- + hommus with vegetable sticks
- + steamed vegetables with tamari/shoyu or umeboshi vinegar
- + salted edamame
- + home-made baba ganoush with vegie sticks
3) Vanquish your creamy craving by eating:
- + a coconut or almond milk smoothie with a hint of fruit
- + avocado
- + rice pudding
- + homemade pumpkin or other pureed vegetable soup
- + mashed sweet potatoes livened with a splash of balsamic vinegar
4) Finally, don‘t scoff the Pringles when you can eat these crunchy snacks:
- + firm pears
- + frozen grapes
- + rice cakes
- + popcorn (use coconut oil to pop in a covered pan the healthy way)
- + carrots (particularly sweet, organic baby carrots)
- + celery and your favourite nut butter
- + raw, unsalted nuts like cashews, almonds, and walnuts
Don’t fight the urge to snack, let’s face it, resistance is futile. Instead, tune in to what body needs and choose the smarter option for the benefit of your health, your budget AND your waistline. #winning!
This article originally appeared on Simon Baldwin and has been republished with permission.
About the Author
Simone’s mantra is great health is a choice and love the skin you’re in. As a Wine Expert, Plant-based Chef, and Certified Wellness Coach plus a #1 Best-Selling Author, Simone understands the demands on women particularly when juggling work and family. Coaching buys mums and working women who want to reboot their body amplify their energy and reclaim their confidence is Simone’s passion. Simone spends her time between Singapore and Melbourne.
For more information, visit simonebaldwin.com
Our writers independently select all products featured on The Vegan Company. We only recommend products and services we love – and think you’ll love too. Just letting you know that when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission.